Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Pizza

I am taking a minute to post about this pizza:
Ever since I started making pizza dough, we try to have pizza a couple times a month--and this pizza was exceptional! It has a olive oil and garlic base (rather than sauce), and toppings include smoked tofu, grilled eggplant, gently sauteed chanterelles, and basil. This pizza was better, even, than it looks OR sounds, and was the perfect meal for the night before we go out of town.
And I know that there are a million pizza dough recipes out there, but this is the one I trust, and have come back to over and over. It has a nice texture (because of the bran), and makes enough for at least two pizzas. I usually refrigerate half of it, and it keeps for use later in the week. I have also frozen leftover dough, and thawed it quite successfully. It is super-dough, to me. Here is the recipe (same proportions as in Richard Bertinet's Dough, different ingredients).
  • 1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
  • 1 3/4 c white whole wheat flour (may need more if dough is too sticky)
  • 1/4 c wheat bran
  • 12 oz warm water
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 2 t salt
  • 2 t instant-rise or bread-machine yeast
  • 1 T basil
  • 1 T oregano (and/or any other spices you want to use)
  • (optional) small handful of flax seeds
Mix the dry ingredients first, then add water and oil. Allow for at least an hour to rise; preheat oven to 400 degrees, and bake the pizza (with your choice of toppings) for 20 minutes.

11 comments:

Whitney said...

Awesome! Going to have to try this soon!

Molly said...

I would merrily eat any pizza you made. Merrily, merrily.

Anonymous said...

Whitney--You won't regret it, definitely. We've made pizza almost once a week for a year (and I'm not even ashamed to say it).
Molly--we'll one day make pizza for you, if we can have you and Michael here. Alas, we'll be out of town for a week or so...But then!

M Raese said...

This is one of the better pizzas we've had.
We stopped in the brand new Earth Fair (in Bearden) on the way home and picked up the chanterelles and smoked tofu. The olive oil topping enhances the natural flavors of the other toppings without being overbearing. I especially like to use a very simple glaze/marinade when using chanterelles -- usually just olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic.
The best part: we used a sauce I made the other night (fresh basil and garlic infused coconut milk-alfredo) for dipping crusts.

Whitney said...

You should check out Hana's blog if you're interested in vegan Japanese food... and kitties.

Whitney said...

Hm, that didn't work. www.hanahattori.com/blog

Anonymous said...

Holy shit! Whitney, I didn't realize which Whitney it was, at first. Glad to hear from you. I put Hana's blog on the blog list, and I look forward to following it.

Anonymous said...

Ooh..I'll have to try this. The wheat bran in the dough sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Mamabelle said...

This looks like a good recipe to try! Was sad to hear about Glowing Bowl, thanks for posting that.

radioactivegan said...

I've never put bran in pizza dough, but this looks amazing. In fact, I think you make some of the best sounding pizzas I've ever heard of!

zemmely said...

Jamie--
We pretty much HAD to get creative with our pizzas, since we eat them so often. I think it's the variety that keeps us coming back, too. I can't imagine a week without a pizza!