Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Deborah Madison, You've Done It Again!


Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's KitchenI was making yet another soup from Deborah Madison's wonderful cookbook Vegetable Soups, when Matt commented, "She certainly likes the squash with the root vegetables." I paused and thought about the soup: it's a navy bean soup with turnips, winter squash, onions, sage, parsley, and savoy cabbage. The beans are cooked first, with onion, garlic, and other aromatics. All in all, the soup is simple, but delicious--just like many of the soups in the cookbook. It was already obvious, but on this late February day, it struck me even more--all the recipes are seasonal. The soup I was making was a classic winter soup, and the squash, sage, parsley, and turnips were all grown by me at some point; they were just waiting patiently for this moment to arrive. The onions, garlic, and cabbage could have also been obtained locally, but I've eaten through all my stores of those. 
If you're at all interested in vegetarian, seasonal, local cooking, I recommend that you get this book. I know it's a few years old, but it's far from being outdated. As for me, I'm looking forward to the spring soups, especially ones with the sugar snap peas...

1 comment:

Mery jonson said...

Plaza Singapura, nestled in the heart of Singapore, is a vibrant shopping haven offering a diverse mix of retail therapy, delectable dining, and entertainment. Plaza Singapura With a plethora of stores ranging from international brands to local boutiques, it caters to every shopper's delight.