Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Fallow

Transplanting brassicas.
This year, I've devoted quite a bit of time and effort cultivating my online presence (although not lately). I've posted to this blog frequently, made connections with like-minded people, and kept up some great conversations. And for the most part, I've been missing lately.

Part of the reason for my absence is the (physically and emotionally demanding) full-time job at Beardsley Farm. I like what Beardsley does for the Knoxville community and I'm glad to be there.

This summer, I started visiting and working (volunteering time) at the farm where we've been getting our CSA for the last three years. Most recently, I've also put in a couple of days of work at another farm, working with Jim and his hot peppers. My time at the first farm started a change in me, and I'm not sure what to call it yet. It's a different awareness of farmers and their work, but that's not all. Being at both farms makes me exuberant and incredibly sad. I am so glad to have the chance to spend time with such hard-working and earnest people, but I hate to see them almost constantly so behind in their work. Jim, especially (because he tends his farm alone), tends to get discouraged. And all this has started affecting me personally--I want them to succeed, to be appreciated. More than anything, I want to help them. And for now, this means going to lend them my hands, my younger and less-tired body.

I hope you understand. I may not be around online as much. I may not offer canning classes for a little while. Please understand that I'm trying to put in effort where I think it'll count most.

2 comments:

Shane said...

I think by learning, networking, and sharing, you are cultivating the future. You have a lot more to offer than just your hands, especially your determination, your motivation, and your literate infrastructure and networking abilities. Keep your chin up... you are making a difference!

zemmely said...

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm definitely going to continue keeping up with other things, but I like what I can do for the farmers right now, especially Jim.