Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Power of Prayer

There have been a lot of posts about this guy lately, but I thought I'd just take a moment to add my opinion.  Wiley Drake, a minister of the Southern Baptist church has been praying for Barack Obama's death.  Drake has also previously gone out of his way to deprecate and harass gays (you can read more here and here).
While it is impossible for me to take someone like this man seriously, the problem is that many people do take him at face value.  Recent events such as the shooting death of Dr. George Tiller and the shooting spree in the Knoxville Unitarian Universalist church last summer demonstrate that people do indeed take these messages of hatred and destruction very seriously.  
Wiley Drake abuses his authority within the church to stroke his own vanity and what he does is nothing short of incitement to violence.  

1 comment:

M Raese said...

This is not entirely related, so I'll add here. I can't figure out if this is meant to be a joke or if this is legitimate.